WhatsApp is an instant messaging mobile application. However, some of us are quite comfortable when it’s available on our PC or laptop as well. That’s why there is WhatsApp Web. WhatsApp Web for desktop allows you to access your favorite chat application from your PC, be it Mac or Windows. All you have to do is, keep your phone near your PC during the access. However, there are also ways to keep WhatsApp Web on when you’re away from your computer as well.
Want to know more about what to do with WhatsApp Web on PC? There are many cool features about this mirror counterpart of the mobile application. In this article, we have covered a list of these essential things you can do with WhatsApp Web!
WhatsApp Web For Desktop: How To Use?
Before we get into the feature part, let’s get on with how to use WhatsApp Web for desktop. Yes, you may know exactly how to use it, but there are others who might need a little walkthrough. So, if you already have WhatsApp Web on PC, you can skip this part. Rest, follow these steps:
- Open your preferred browser and visit: www.web.whatsapp.com.
- An option to scan a QR code will appear on the screen.
- For Android smartphones: Open your WhatsApp application, tap the vertical three-dots icon on the right side of the corner, and select WhatsApp Web.
- For iPhones: Open WhatsApp and click on Settings. You’ll get the option WhatsApp Web, tap on it.
- Scan the QR code on your computer screen.
- WhatsApp Web is now active on your computer system.
Now, you’ll find all of your chats and stories are available on your computer. You can open any chat thread and it will have everything you have on your mobile application, both chats, and media. WhatsApp Web will work just fine on Mac and Windows. Just make sure your phone is turned on and has an active internet connection.
WhatsApp Web: Scanning QR Code
You know how to scan the QR code and open WhatsApp Web on PC. However, in case you want to reset the WhatsApp Web scanning code:
Reset QR Code:
It is really easy to delete or reset your WhatsApp QR code. Open WhatsApp on your mobile and tap on More Options, then Settings. Tap on the QR icon right beside your name. Click on More, then Reset QR code. Click RESET, then OK. The process is the same for both androids and iPhones.
Advantages of WhatsApp Web for Desktop
WhatsApp Web for Desktop is a great addition by the company. Letting you access your WhatsApp account from a computer gives you a lot of advantages when you prefer your laptop more than your phone.
- The Picture-in-Picture mode allows you to watch videos from Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube without leaving the chat window.
- You can access your WhatsApp account from multiple computers.
- Manually disconnect from your PC anytime. You’ll get a notification instantly whenever you’re connected from a PC and it doesn’t go away with the “Clear Notification” option. A great option to prevent any unauthorized access.
- If you have two numbers, you can control that from two different browsers as well. You can use Chrome and Firefox.
- If you want to engage in long conversations like if you have WhatsApp Business, it will be a huge help to have WhatsApp Web on PC.
- If you want more than one person to handle your WhatsApp, again, this is the best option.
- The great advantage of using WhatsApp extensions like WAToolkit.
There are several shortcuts for WhatsApp Web which can be really helpful. WhatsApp Web’s Keyboard Shortcuts:
Take “Ctrl + Alt” common and:
- + U: Mark as unread
- + M: Mute
- + E: Archive chat
- + Backspace: Delete chat
- + Shift + P: Pin chat
- + / : Search
- + Shift + F: Search chat
- + N: New chat
- + Shift + N: New group
- + P: Profile and About
- + ,: Settings
Limitations of WhatsApp Web for Desktop
WhatsApp Web has its own perks. However, it completely depends on individual preference if they want to use it or not. Yes, there are some shortcomings of this feature by WhatsApp. Let’s list them one by one.
- No option for WhatsApp Broadcast.
- WhatsApp Voice call or WhatsApp Video call is not accessible.
- You cannot post WhatsApp Status updates from your PC.
- Maps and Current Location is not sharable.
- All media files including images and videos will be downloaded automatically.
- You can only use one browser at a time.
WhatsApp Web FAQs
Can I use WhatsApp Web when my phone is off?
No! You cannot use WhatsApp web if your phone is turned off. Your mobile is synced with your PC and it must keep the process going. You have to make sure your phone is always turned on and both your PC and mobile have an active internet connection. However, it is not necessary for your phone to be near the PC in order to stay connected.
How do I log out from WhatsApp Web on PC?
Once you’re connected from the WhatsApp Web, even if you close the browser, it won’t log out. The next time you open WhatsApp Web, your WhatsApp chats will open. So, if you want to log out from the PC, go to Menu and then click Log out. As for, your mobile, go to Menu, tap on WhatsApp Web and then click Log out from all devices. You can be selective and choose from which PCs you want to log out.
Is WhatsApp Web safe?
It’s as safe as your mobile application. The End-to-End Encryption feature extends to the computer version as well.
Can I check my old messages from WhatsApp Web?
Yes, you can check all your old messages, chats, and media from Whatsapp Web. However, in case you have deleted any previous messages or media files from your phone, you cannot get them back. It has to be available on the app on your mobile phone.
Does WhatsApp Web show you online all the time?
No! Once you leave the tab of WhatsApp Web on PC, it won’t show you as online anymore.
It’s been almost 6 years when WhatsApp Web for Desktop was introduced. However, there have been significant changes to the web application that have only made it more efficient. It doesn’t require a heavy configuration computer or superfast internet. That’s the best part. For business purposes, WhatsApp Web is a great option. There are enough features to get the job done. However, some features like voice and video calls, update stories must be included soon to make WhatsApp Web more efficient in the future!