Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth hospitalized as ‘precaution’

Prince Philip
Image Courtesy: ABC

The Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, 99, was admitted to hospital on Wednesday after feeling unwell, Buckingham Palace reported. The palace said in a statement that the husband of Queen Elizabeth II was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital in central London.

According to reports, his illness is not believed to be related to COVID-19 as the queen and Philip, both received the first dose of a vaccine against the coronavirus in early January. The Duke was taken to the hospital by car advised by his doctor as “a precautionary measure”.

READ MORE: TOP HEADLINES OF TODAY
ALSO, READ: ENGLISH NEWS HEADLINES

During the ongoing coronavirus lockdown in England, the duke has been staying at Windsor Castle with the queen while performing duties such as meetings with dignitaries remotely.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said he “sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he undergoes a few days of rest in hospital.”

READ: TODAYS UPDATES NEWS
CLICK HERE:
 INTERNATIONAL NEWS HEADLINES TODAY IN ENGLISH

Philip was a former naval officer and keen polo player. He enjoyed a healthy life even into old age. However, there were a number of health issues in recent years that began in 2011. Prince Philip was rushed to hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and treated for a blocked coronary artery. Then, again In 2017, he spent two nights in the King Edward VII hospital and was hospitalized for 10 days in 2018 for a hip replacement.

The prince was previously hospitalized in 2019 while getting treatment for four nights in the King Edward VII Hospital for a pre-existing condition. No official statement on his current health condition is revealed by the palace as of now.

ALSO, READ: Amit Shah to flag off the final Rath Yatra in Bengal today