Sure, you can back up your WhatsApp chats on your phone. But what if you want to factory reset the entire device? You’ll lose all the data, right? Well, not if you can back up the chats on Google Drive. WhatsApp allows you to easily back up all your chat data to Google Drive and later, restore them. Make sure you have an active Google account along with Google Play services installed on your phone.
However, you may also change your Google account. But you will lose access to any other backups that you have saved in the older account.
Wondering how to backup the WhatsApp chats? Here’s a quick guide on how you can do it:
1. Open WhatsApp on your smartphone and go to the settings.
2. Now tap on Chats, then Chat backup then Back up to Google Drive.
3. Choose any of the backup frequencies other than Never. Although, you can also choose to do the backup manually at any time you prefer.
4. After choosing a backup frequency, select your preferred Google account where you want to back up your chat history. In case your Google account is not connected, tap on Add Account and enter your login credentials go start.
5. Now, you’ll get the option to choose the network you want to use for backups. It is recommended to use Wi-Fi to back up the WhatsApp chats. However, if you don’t have any issues with additional data charges, you can choose Data Network over wifi as well.
Once you’re done with the back up, let’s now get into how to restore the data:
The process to restore WhatsApp chats from Google Drive has no complications. It will just take a couple of minutes of your time. Just make sure to use the same phone number and Google account that you used to initiate the backup.
1. Reinstall the WhatsApp application on your phone. Open the app and verify your mobile number.
2. Once you follow through with the process, you’ll eventually get the option to restore all the chat back ups. Tap on the “Restore” button and it will start restoring all your chats and media from Google Drive. It may take a few minutes.
3. After the restoration process is over, just tap on Next and you’ll find all the chats available on the messaging app.
Use Google Drive more to make sure none of your data is ever lost. If your backup stays on Google Drive, you’ll always have access to all your WhatsApp chats along with the media files. That’s reassuring!